Searching for Limitless: How 'Smart Drugs' Can Enhance Your Experiences and Brain Functions
Small boosts for your mind and body can have powerful effects on your experience.
Would you ever knowingly consume a drug if doing so meant that once the effects took hold, you were somehow empowered to be a better, more efficient, or perhaps “smarter” version of yourself? Or say you wanted to enhance an experience, or feel more connected to the people around you, and be more present than you’ve ever previously been. Well such substances exist. And they’re called nootropics.
The term applies to a class of around 20 drugs called “racetams.” And by “stacking” strategically paired nootropic combinations, an enhanced experience, sharper focus, improved memory, and clarity of mind can seemingly be achieved, or perhaps engineered.
For Futurism, Karla Lant provides some context on the nootropic-fueled brain-hacking:
“The core value here is optimization, incremental changes—sometimes tiny ones—that together produce a cumulative effect that is powerful and progressive. . . nootropics are not like the pills in Limitless, which make you super-smart instantly. Rather, they pose the seductive question of what you might achieve if you were 10 percent more productive…all the time.”
So, if you're keen to experiment and bio-hack your own brain in pursuit of a "better" you, keep scrolling for a list of interests, outings, and activities that would seemingly be made even better by riding the nootropic waves of enhanced cognition.
Image via VSCO
One nootropic blend designed specifically to enhance experiences and increase empathy and sensory awareness is KATY. The “brain-enhancing” nootropic/nutritional supplement is said to “bliss you out” by turning up your brain’s dopamine and serotonin production. To put it simply, think of KATY as a much safer (and legal) route to feelings and emotions not entirely dissimilar to those elicited by MDMA, or “Molly.”
KATY contains a thoughtfully composed amalgam of kava, omniracetum BLU, ECGC 50:1, vitamin E, L-phenylalanine 25:1, N-acetyl L-tyrosine, theobromine, methylcobalamin B12, noospark, and theacrine. Each molecular element offers a contributory and functional spark to the cumulative buzz.
Perhaps dose with KATY before doing the following to tap into the surrounding wavelengths and vibrations in a more dimensional manner than you’ve previously experienced.
• Envelope yourself in color, sound, and story in an IMAX film, or 3D movie.
• Go to a museum, find the most immersive exhibit and try to imagine how the artist was feeling when they created the piece.
• Go to the zoo...the petting zoo.
• Climb onto a rooftop at golden hour and watch colors and clouds collide in the sky as the sun sets.
• Map out the stars in an open field on the outskirts of town, with the music low, and lay on top of the car. Hold hands and just breathe.
• Hit up a music festival or concert.
• Cuddle, make out, make love.
• Build a campfire on the beach.
• Clear your mind at the gym.
Image via VSCO
Remember, the key word to remember in regard to nootropics is enhancement. You shouldn’t be stacking the smart drugs to circumvent your inherent abilities, but to tap into a refined mindset already present within yourself. Improve your mood, exercise your emotional intelligence, and keep stress and anxiety at bay, while promoting feelings of empathy. With that covered, perhaps try downing a nootropic blend before:
• Crashing a wedding.
• Walking into a random party where you know virtually no one.
• Meeting someone you met on a dating app in person.
• Your next family reunion.
Image via VSCO
Productivity and Creativity Stack
Nootropics and other smart drugs are especially popular among Silicon Valley’s technorati. This creative class operates under tight deadlines and is sometimes encouraged to work under such logic as, “move fast and break things.” Though the limited number of clinical trials have focused on boosting the minds of elderly participants, it isn’t difficult to see the appeal nootropics present to young workers that seek to gain an edge in the competitive and demanding digital age workplace.
According to smart drugs information hub purenootropics.net, caffeine and L-theanine is a another great starter stack said to increase focus, clarity, and provide an energy boost:
“. . . the caffeine gives you the energy and focus boost that you’re aiming for. The L-theanine balances out the caffeine to relax you and take away, or at least minimize, these negative effects."
Power-up on this combo, or take KATY, for instance, before:
• Getting Creative - Your next piece of work is still in the conception phase, so you bliss out before drafting the blueprints on the backs of your eyelids.
• Cramming all night - You’re in school and finals are approaching; or you’re polishing off the thesis on your dissertation; you just want to study without reaching for your cell phone.
• Gaming - Executing any strategy is only achievable when one can rely unequivocally on the senses.
• You’re on the job - And the workday doesn’t always last only from 9 to 5.
• The next time you want to clean your home, or crush your to-do list.
Indeed, nootropics represent an emerging category within the pharmacopoeia. And though it’s not as if taking the smart drugs will turn you into a supercomputer social butterfly, a dose here and there with specific intentions might just liven up your human experience.
This article was produced in partnership with the KATY brand.