10 Christmas Songs That Don't Suck
Some people absolutely detest Christmas music. Which makes a fair amount of sense—most Christmas music you hear in public is of the shiny, department store, overly saccharine variety. Come December, sometimes earlier, it's fucking everywhere.
If you're anything like me, you still find a small charm in the Christmas spirit, and it's nice to have some music you actually enjoy reinforcing that small charm while you celebrate. You can't go wrong with Brenda Lee, Eartha Kitt, or the Ronettes, but maybe classics aren't your thing. Here are ten Christmas songs that don't suck. The criteria? I don't know, just, like, my opinion, man.
1. "I Wish It Was Christmas Today" by Julian Casablancas
This excellent cover of a song from SNL by the Strokes' king of cool isn't only catchy; it is one of the rare modern Christmas rock songs that instills a sincere feeling of cheer.
2. "The Christmas Song" by The Raveonettes
A head-nodding, electric, melancholic stroll through holiday separation.
3. "Alone On Christmas Day" by Phoenix feat. Bill Murray
Another cover, this was an unreleased Beach Boys Christmas song.
4. "Happy Christmas" by The Maytals
Toots and the Maytals put a Jamaican, rock steady touch to the holiday.
5. "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" by Cat Power
A simplified version of an oft-covered classic made even warmer with Chan Marshall's beautiful voice.
6. "Christmas Time Is Here Again" by The Flirtations
This sweeping track was the B side to "Nothing But a Heartache" released in 1968.
7. "Sleigh Ride" by The Ventures
Surf's up, elves.
8. "I'll Be Stoned For Christmas" by Dent May
An extremely enjoyable song about the joys of seeing old friends and getting lit up like a Christmas tree.
9. "A Christmas Fucking Miracle" by Run The Jewels
A fresh Christmas tale for a new generation, complete with an amazing music video.
10. "Christmas Party" by The Walkmen feat. Nicole Sheahan
A drunken, swaying good time.